Are you a prospective student and you are looking for any of the top 10 universities to study microbiology in Nigeria this 2023? Then look no further as this article will give you insight on some of the very best microbiology schools in the country presently. We have compiled a list of the leading universities that offer this course in Nigeria and we believe that this will be very helpful to prospective students nationwide.
This course, microbiology, is a four-year course for undergraduates who desire to learn everything in this field and it has emerged as one of the most important fields in the life sciences especially as it involves the study of microorganisms and how they affect the life around us.
During their stay in the university, students of microbiology are taught various topics such as: general biology, introduction to microbiology, microbial classification, bacteriology, virology, immunology and immunochemistry, etc. These topics are touched at different levels until graduation. Microbiologists salary structure in Nigeria is up there with some well paying jobs in the country.
TOP 10 BEST UNIVERSITIES TO STUDY MICROBIOLOGY IN NIGERIA 2023
Below are listed the 10 best schools in Nigeria to study microbiology this 2023 in no particular order.
UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA, NSUKKA
The Department of Microbiology at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka is one if the oldest microbiology departments in the country and it was founded in 1965. This Department is one of the best in Nigeria as students in the school are trained to always read and master everything they are taught in order to make them better understand the environment around them and ensure that they stand out among their colleagues from different schools.
This Department offers a very robust and forward-looking programme in the general and applied areas of Microbiology to prepare its graduates for their important role in the advancement of life. The core courses are designed to give students wide exposure in the main areas, which include Medical, Industrial/Food and Environmental Microbiology, including Climate Change studies.
Students offering this course at this university undergo industrial attachment during their third year of study, which affords them practical experience in diagnostic techniques and other microbiological processes in hospitals and industries.
The Department also offers, in conjunction with the Departments of Chemistry and Biochemistry, B.Sc. combined degree in Microbiology/Chemistry and Microbiology/ Biochemistry. In addition, service courses are offered to students in other areas of Biological Sciences, Medical Sciences, Veterinary Sciences, Agricultural Sciences and Health and Physical Education.
UNIVERSITY OF PORT HARCOURT, CHOBA
Another really good school to study microbiology in this list is the University of Port Harcourt, Choba. At this institution of higher learning, their Department of Microbiology emphasises the concept of relevant broad-based training comprising biological, chemical and physical sciences as well as arts.
The knowledge impacted is aimed towards producing graduates who will be of considerable service to academia, food and agricultural industries, breweries, medical/pharmaceutical establishments, oil/gas industries, to mention but a few and many of their graduates of microbiology are employed in various sectors of the economy such as: Government Regulatory Agencies, Petro-chemical industries, Food Manufacturing Industries, Public-Health Establishments, Universities, Polytechnics and several Ministries.
UNIVERSITY OF ILORIN
Another very good university to study microbiology, and in fact, any course in Nigeria Is the University of Ilorin, situated in the Kwara State Capital. This school offers fours years of quality microbiology lectures to their students at undergraduate level and one of their pulling power is the fact that they are hardly ever on strike. They may have recently joined ASUU but their track record in quality education speaks for them.
The Department runs programmes leading to the award of the degrees of:
- B.Sc. Microbiology
- M.Sc. Microbiology
- Ph.D. Microbiology
The M.Sc. degree programme is by course work and research with options in
- Industrial Microbiology
- Medical Microbiology
- Environmental Microbiology, and
- Microbial Physiology
The Ph.D degree is by research in any field of Microbiology.
CHUKWUEMEKA ODUMEGWU OJUKWU UNIVERSITY, ULI
Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University used to be known as Anambra State University and their microbiology department which is resident in the Uli campus of the school is one of the best when it comes to the study of this course in Nigeria.
At COOU, some of the courses under microbiology include: microorganisms as friends and foes, antimicrobial agents, sensitivity testing, systematic classification of microorganisms, staining techniques for identification, immunology and immunochemistry, microbial genetics, etc. Microbiology lectures at Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University are intensive and it challenges the students to aspire to be the best in their chosen field.
AHMADU BELLO UNIVERSITY, ZARIA
Ahmadu Bello University is also one of the best schools in Nigeria where you can study microbiology. The mission of this great citadel of learning is to ensure that their microbiology department is student-oriented and a centre of excellence for teaching and research in Medical, Food, Industrial, Environmental and Biotechnological Microbiology; thus positioning the school for the provision of excellent consultancy services in all fields of modern Microbiology.
COVENANT UNIVERSITY, OTA
This school is one of the best in the country offering microbiology; although very expensive as it is a private university, the standard of education at Covenant University is very high. If you are looking for a leading private university in Nigeria offering microbiology, this school is your best bet for academic excellence in this chosen field.
BABCOCK UNIVERSITY, ILISHAN REMO
The Department of Microbiology is located in the School of Science and Technology at Babcock University, and it offers Bachelor of Science degree in Microbiology. This school is a private school and it is expensive but it offers quality education and studying microbiology in a conducive learning atmosphere opens up the student to really understand what this course entails.
The main thrust of the Department is to provide knowledge to the study of microorganisms and their effects on man and his environment and to uphold excellence in teaching, research programmes and service delivery so as to assist the students harness their academic potentials in this chosen field of natural science.
Other schools which make up this list include the following:
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka
- University of Calabar, Calabar
- Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma
LIST OF UNIVERSITIES IN NIGERIA OFFERING MICROBIOLOGY AS A COURSE
- Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma
- Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba
- Abia State University, Uturu
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria
- Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti – Ekiti State
- Achievers University, Owo
- Ajayi Crowther University, Ibadan (ACU)
- Al-Hikmah University, Ilorin
- Anchor University Ayobo Lagos State
- Arthur Javis University Akpoyubo Cross river State
- Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University, Uli
- Adeleke University Ede (AUE)
- Babcock University, Ilishan-Remo
- Bauchi State University, Gadau
- Federal University of Technology, Minna
- Bayero University, Kano
- Bells University of Technology, Otta
- University of Benin (UNIBEN)
- Nasarawa State University Keffi (NSUK)
- ECWA Bingham University, New Karu
- Benson Idahosa University, Benin City
- Bowen University, Iwo
- Caleb University, Lagos
- Caritas University, Enugu
- Clifford University Owerrinta Abia State
- Coal City University Enugu State
- Covenant University Ota
- Crescent University (CUAB)
- Chrisland University
- Crown Hill University Eiyenkorin, Kwara State
- Cross River State University of Science Technology, Calabar (CRUTECH)
- Delta State University, Abraka (DELSU)
- Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki
- Edo University Iyamo
- Elizade University, Ilara-Mokin
- Enugu State University of Science and Technology, Enugu (ESUT)
- Evangel University, Akaeze
- Gregory University, Uturu
- Gombe State University, Gombe
- Ekiti State University
- Eastern Palm University Ogboko, Imo State
- Federal University, Dutsin-Ma, Katsina
- Federal University Gashua, Yobe
- Federal University, Gusau, Zamfara State
- Federal University, Birnin-Kebbi
- Federal University, Lafia, Nasarawa State
- Federal University, Lokoja, Kogi State
- Alex Ekwueme Federal University, Ndifu-Alike, Ebonyi State
- Federal University, Otuoke, Bayelsa (FUOTUOKE)
- Federal University, Oye-Ekiti, Ekiti State
- Federal University, Wukari, Taraba State
- Fountain University, Oshogbo
- Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta (FUNAAB)
- Federal University of Technology, Akure
- Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO)
- Godfrey Okoye University, Ugwuomu-Nike, Enugu State
- Hallmark University, Ijebi Itele, Ogun
- University of Ilorin (UNILORIN)
- Imo State University, Owerri (IMSU)
- Joseph Ayo Babalola University, Ikeji-Arakeji
- Kaduna State University, Kaduna (KASU)
- Kogi State Universitym Anyigba
- Kebbi State University, Kebbi
- Kano University of Science & Technology, Wudil (KSUST)
- University of Lagos (UNILAG)
- Landmark University, Omu-Aran
- Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University, Lapai (IBBU)
- Lagos State University, Ojo (LASU)
- Lead City University, Ibadan
- Madonna University, Nigeria
- Modibbo Adama University of Technology, Yola
- Micheal & Cecilia Ibru University
- Mcpherson University, Seriki Sotayo, Ajebo
- University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID)
- University of Agriculture, Makurdi
- University of Mkar, Mkar
- Mountain Top University
- Niger Delta University Yenagoa (NDU)
- Northwest University Kano (NWU)
- Novena University, Ogume
- Nile University of Nigeria, Abuja
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife (OAU)
- Oduduwa University, Ipetumodu, Osun State
- Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago Iwoye
- Ondo State University of Science and Technology, Okitipupa
- Paul University, Awka, Anambra State
- University of Port-Harcourt (UNIPORT)
- Plateau State University Bokkos (PLASU)
- Nigeria Police Academy, Wudil
- Redeemer’s University, Mowe
- Renaissance University, Enugu
- River State University of Science and Technology (RSUST)
- Salem University, Lokoja
- Samuel Adegboyega University, Ogwa
- Sokoto State University
- Southwestern University, Oku Owa
- Tansian University, Umunya
- Usman Danfodiyo University (UDUSOK)
- Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike
- Umar Musa Yar’Adua University Katsina (UMYU)
- Osun State University Osogbo (UNIOSUN)
- Kings University, Ode Omu (UNIKINGS)
- University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN)
- Veritas University, Abuja
- Western Delta University, Oghara Delta State
- Wesley University of Science & Technology, Ondo
- Crawford University Igbesa
- Rhema University
- Ekiti State University
- Kwara State University, Ilorin (KWASU)
9 CommentsAdd a Comment
I am from katsina and i wrote jamb in this year 2020/2021 i got 167 and want go for microbiology or human physiolo can you help me pleace….thank you
Please …. what’s the cut-off of microbiology in these University: University of ibadan, University of ilorin
Hi Gina, score at least 200 and above in your JAMB UTME and do very well to surpass the cut off marks as determined by your school of choice in your post UTME and you’ll be eligible for admission. Some universities score over 400 in post UTME so you’ll need to surpass the 200 mark, while some score over 100, meaning that you will need to score more than 50 per cent to get in.
Sir is microbiology a good course?
Hi Favour, yes, Microbiology is a good course to study in Nigeria.
Sir what are the two types of microbiology
Please what is the cut off mark of microbiology at these universities IMSU and Niger Delta?
Can’t I study microbiology in LAUTECH?
What of 168 as a JAMB score? What Course am I supposed to study in Bingham?