The best universities in Nigeria which are considered to be at the very top as far as studying biochemistry in the country is concerned are what we shall be focusing on in this post. We have given a comprehensive list of the 10 best biochemistry schools in Nigeria this 2023, and they should be considered by every serious prospective student who aspire to study the course.
Many of these biochemistry schools in the country make sure that their students are very well taught on the principles of this discipline which ensures that they can stand their ground and match their colleagues anywhere they find themselves in.
A beautiful thing about studying this course is that it opens you up to a variety of jobs that are in line with your discipline as it inter-relates with other science and medical professions and biochemistry salary in Nigeria is quite encouraging. Biochemistry is in fact, one of the best and most popular disciplines in the country and being a biochemist myself, I can tell you that it is very competitive.
While this course can be studied at different schools under various faculties like the Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, Faculty of (Natural) Sciences, etc., what you as a prospective student should know is that first of all, you must be science inclined and you must excel in your science subjects at O-Level as well as in mathematics and the English Language. You can check out subject combination for all courses in Nigeria to know what is required of you for this particular discipline at your UTME.
Be informed that you must be a very bright science student to study biochemistry as it is the study of the chemical processes that occur in living organisms and you will be exposed to the extensive study of biology, organic and inorganic chemistry, protein synthesis, enzymology, some aspects of physics, to mention but a few. With that said, let us now look at the best biochemistry universities in the country in details.
LIST OF TOP 10 BEST BIOCHEMISTRY SCHOOLS IN NIGERIA 2023
The following are the top 10 leading biochemistry universities in Nigeria this 2023:
DEPARTMENT OF BIOCHEMISTRY, UNIVERSITY OF IBADAN
The Department of Biochemistry was a part of the Department of Physiology in the Faculty of Medicine when the University of Ibadan was established and it assumed full departmental status in 1960. The Department of Biochemistry, UNIBADAN developed with emphasis on Nutritional Biochemistry from its inception, but its philosophy has since widened considerably and areas of teaching and research has been expanded to include the following at undergraduate level:
- Drug Metabolism and Toxicology
- Forensic Biochemistry
- Membrane Biochemistry
- Microbial Chemistry and Fermentation
- Molecular Biology and Oncology.
Presently, postgraduate teaching and research in the Department has been re-organized into four broad academic sections which have been operational since 1984 and they are:
- Cancer Research and Molecular Biology
- Membrane Biochemistry and Biotechnology
- Molecular Drug Metabolism and Toxicology
- Nutritional and Industrial Biochemistry/Biochemical Toxicology.
If you are serious about studying biochemistry, you should consider this university as it is one of the very best in Nigeria and it has been for a very long time.
DEPARTMENT OF BIOCHEMISTRY, UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA NSUKKA
The University of Nigeria, Nsukka is another great school to study biochemistry at, and the Department of Biochemistry at this university aims at producing graduate biochemists who are not only equipped with knowledge in all the modern aspects of the discipline, but are also aware of the particular needs of Nigeria in particular and Africa in general in the area of their specialty.
At UNN, the biochemistry undergraduate degree programme lays much great emphasis on locally important topics such as nutrition and food science; the biochemistry of the soil and of locally significant micro-organisms; basis of chemotherapy, including African traditional medicine; human biochemical genetics particularly with respect to the West African sub-region; Lipids and lipoproteins and environmental Biochemistry in particular.
The emphasis on meeting the needs of the environment is reflected in the inclusion of a Research Project on a local biochemical topic as one of the compulsory courses in the final year of every Biochemistry student and this should challenge a prospective student to understand that the field that they are about venturing into is not child’s play, it is serious work.
Courses in the programme are grouped into eleven (11) stress areas as follows:
- General Biochemistry and Bioinformatics
- Molecular Biology and Biotechnology
- Medical Biochemistry
- Enzymology and Protein Biochemistry
- Plant, Food and Nutritional Biochemistry
- Lipid and Lipoprotein Biochemistry
- Pharmacological Biochemistry and Toxicology
- Immunology and Immunochemistry
- Membrane Bioenergetics and Environmental Biochemistry
- Biochemical Methods
DEPARTMENT OF BIOCHEMISTRY, AHMADU BELLO UNIVERSITY
The Department of Biochemistry at Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, is one of the oldest in the country. This Department offers a 4-year programme or a 3-year programme depending on the student’s previous background leading to the degree of Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.). The undergraduate training is designed to make students understand modern biochemistry and prepare them for research and advance teaching in Biochemistry.
The B.Sc. programme involves intensive course work scheduled with practical classes designed to expose the students to theoretical concepts in Biochemistry, to enable the students comprehend works in virtually all areas of the subject. At the 300 level, the students are exposed to a 6 months SIWES Programme which is a skill-acquisition programme to enable the students acquire industrial skills and practical experience which prepares them for the work situation they are likely to meet after graduation. At the final year (400 level), the students take up their research project.
The major thrust of the Department’s Programmes is teaching and research, which must have considerable biochemical content and should be conducted in any of the following or other areas of biochemistry:
- Molecular Biology of Tropical diseases
- Biotechnology and Medical Biochemistry
- Medicinal Plants (Therapeutic and Toxicological evaluation)
- Nutritional Biochemistry and Environmental Toxicology
- Microbial Biochemistry
- Analytical Biochemistry
DEPARTMENT OF BIOCHEMISTRY, UNIVERSITY OF LAGOS
As is very well established by now, Biochemistry is a science discipline that is fundamental to Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy, Pharmacology, Physiotherapy, Physiology, Radiography, Biotechnology, Biological Sciences, Agriculture, Nutrition and Food Science.
At the University of Lagos, The Department of Biochemistry is situated at the College of Medicine Idi-araba Campus, Surulere, Lagos State and it is very well equipped to teach and carry out research in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. This school is one of the very best that a prospective student seeking admission in this field should consider.
As a primary function, the Department offers courses in Biochemistry to Medical, Dental and Para-Medical Students of the College of Medicine, University of Lagos, Lagos State, and the following programmes are obtainable for this course at the University:
- A four-year programme for the Faculty of Science, Akoka campus, leading to a B.Sc. (Hons) Degree in Biochemistry
- Postgraduate programmes for the School of Postgraduate Studies leading to M.Sc, M.Phil. and Ph.D. degrees in Biochemistry.
The Department also teaches Biochemistry as a service course to students majoring in other B.Sc (Hons) degrees in the College of Medicine, Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences, Faculty of Science and the Faculty of Pharmacy, as well as the Diploma course in the Faculty of Science, College of Medicine, Institute of Medical Laboratory Technology, Post Basic School of Nursing and finally, to Medical Doctors, Resident Doctors and Dental Surgeons-students of the National and West African Postgraduate Medical and Dental Colleges.
DEPARTMENT OF BIOCHEMISTRY, CHUKWUEMEKA ODUMEGWU OJUKWU UNIVERSITY, ULI
The Department of Biochemistry at Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University, Uli, is one of the best in the business of teaching this discipline and what drives them is the determination to unravel the mystery of life. This Department is blessed with lecturers who know their onions really well and who are very experienced in this field.
At Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University, Uli, the course runs for a period of four years where students at 100 level are taught general courses to ease them into the discipline while from 200 level upwards, they are engaged in serious biochemistry lectures. Biochemistry is very competitive at COOU and should you get admitted to study the course, you are advised to take it really seriously.
Courses in this discipline include the following:
- General Biochemistry
- Molecular Biology and Biotechnology
- Protein Synthesis and Enzymology
- Plant, Food and Nutritional Biochemistry
- Lipid and Lipoprotein Biochemistry
- Pharmacological Biochemistry
- Membrane Biochemistry
- Methods In Biochemistry, etc.
DEPARTMENT OF BIOCHEMISTRY, COVENANT UNIVERSITY OTA
The Biochemistry Programme at Covenant University, Ota exposes students to the science of Biochemistry and its enormous contributions to the growth of medical science, agriculture, industry, molecular biology and biotechnology.
At Covenant University, this programme aims to produce graduates with sound theoretical knowledge, up-to-date analytical techniques and expertise in the field of Biochemistry and its applications in medicine, agriculture, food processing, pharmaceutical, and chemical industries, to mention but a few.
The objectives of Biochemistry Programme at this school include the following:
- To provide the students with a broad and balanced foundation for biochemical knowledge and techniques.
- To impart the students’ appropriate practical skills and abilities to resolve biochemical problems.
- To inspire the students for a stimulating and satisfying learning experience in Biochemistry.
- To create in the students an appreciation of the importance of Biochemistry in industrial, economic, environmental, technological and social development.
- To prepare the students for further studies in specialized areas of Biochemistry or in multi-disciplinary areas involving Biochemistry such as Molecular Biology and Biotechnology.
- To inculcate in the students, the knowledge and skills needed for self-employment.
If you would love to study at this school, which is one of the best in Nigeria, kindly be informed that you will need to spend money to get the kind of quality education that they offer.
Other schools that make up our top 10 list of best biochemistry universities in Nigeria include the following:
- Department of Biochemistry, University of Benin
- Department of Biochemistry, Obafemi Awolowo University
- Department of Applied Biochemistry, Nnamdi Azikiwe University Awka
- Department of Biochemistry, University of Calabar.
UNIVERSITIES IN NIGERIA THAT OFFER BIOCHEMISTRY
Below is a list of all schools that offer biochemistry in Nigeria currently:
- Abia State University, Uturu
- Achievers University Owo
- Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba-Akoko
- Adeleke University, Ede, Osun State
- Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria
- Ajayi Crowther University, Oyo
- Al-Hikmah University, Ilorin
- Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma
- Babcock University, Ilishan-Remo
- Bauchi State University, Gadau, Bauchi State
- Bayero University, Kano
- Bells University Of Technology, Ota
- Benson Idahosa University, Benin City
- Bingham University, Karu
- Bowen University, Iwo
- Caleb University, Imota
- Caritas University, Amorji-Nike, Enugu
- Chrisland University, Owode, Ogun State
- Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University, Uli (Formerly Anambra State University)
- Covenant University, Canaan Land, Ota
- Crawford University, Faith City, KM 8, Atan-Agbara Road, Igbesa
- Crescent University, Abeokuta
- Cross Rivers University Of Technology, Calabar
- Delta State University, Abraka
- Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki
- Ekiti State University, Ado-Ekiti
- Elizade University, Ilara-Mokin, Ondo State
- Enugu State University Of Science And Technology, Enugu
- Evangel University, Akaeze, Ebonyi State
- Federal College Of Education, Yola (Affiliated To Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria)
- Federal University Of Agriculture, Abeokuta
- Federal University Of Agriculture, Makurdi
- Federal University Of Technology Minna
- Federal University Of Technology, Akure
- Federal University Of Technology, Owerri
- Federal University, Birnin-Kebbi, Kebbi State
- Federal University, Dutsin-Ma, Katsina State
- Federal University, Gashua, Yobe State
- Federal University, Gusau, Zamfara State
- Federal University, Lafia, Nasarawa State
- Federal University, Lokoja, Kogi State
- Federal University, Ndufu-Alike, Ebonyi State
- Federal University, Otuoke, Bayelsa State
- Federal University, Oye-Ekiti, Ekiti State
- Federal University, Wukari, Taraba State
- Fountain University, Osogbo
- Godfrey Okoye University, Urgwuomu- Nike
- Gombe State University, Tudun Wada, Gombe
- Gregory University, Uturu, Abia State
- Hallmark University, Ijebu-Itele,Ogun State
- Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University, Lapai
- Igbinedion University, Okada, Benin City
- Imo State University, Owerri
- Joseph Ayo Babalola University, Ikeji-Arakeji
- Kaduna State University, Kaduna
- Kano University Of Science And Technology, Wudil
- Kebbi State University Of Science And Technology, Aliro
- Kogi State University, Anyigba
- Kwara State University, Malete, Ilorin
- Lead City University, Ibadan
- Madonna University, Okija
- Mcpherson University, Seriki Sotayo, Ogun State
- Michael And Cecilia Ibru University, Owhrode, Delta State
- Michael Okpara University Of Agriculture, Umudike
- Modibo Adama University Of Technology, Yola
- Mountain Top University, Makogi/Oba, Ogun State
- Niger Delta University, Wilberforce Island, Bayelsa State
- Nigerian Police Academy, Wudil, Kano State
- Northwest University, Kano, Kano State
- Novena University Ogume
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife
- Oduduwa University, Ipetumodu
- Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago-Iwoye
- Ondo State University Of Medical Sciences Laje Road, Ondo, Ondo State
- Ondo State University Of Science And Technology, Okitipupa
- Osun State University, Osogbo
- Plateau State University, Bokkos
- Redeemers University
- Renaissance University, Ojiagu-Agbani, Enugu
- Rhema University, Obeama, Rivers State
- Rivers State University Of Science And Technology, Port Harcourt
- Salem University, Lokoja
- Samuel Adegboyega University, Ogwa, Edo State
- Sokoto State University, Sokoto
- Southwestern University, Okun-Owa, Ogun State
- Tansian University, Oba, Anambra State
- Umaru Musa Yar’Adua University, Katsina
- University Of Benin, Benin City
- University Of Calabar, Calabar
- University Of Ibadan, Ibadan
- University Of Ilorin, Ilorin
- University Of Jos, Jos
- University Of Lagos
- University Of Maiduguri
- University Of Mkar, Gboko
- University Of Nigeria Nsukka
- University Of Port-Harcourt
- University Of Uyo
- Usmanu Danfodiyo University, Sokoto
- Wesley University Of Science And Technology. Ondo
- Western Delta University, Oghara, Delta State.