This article is about the current cost of international passport in Nigeria this 2021. People who love to travel out of Nigeria often or those who wish to for the first time need to know the current cost of international passport in Nigeria so as not to be misled into paying more or less for this much valued Nigerian travel document.
The Nigerian International passport, also known as the e-passport, is a travel document recognized worldwide. With it, you will be easily identified and confirmed as a bona-fide citizen of Nigeria. Apart from travelling, you may also need it when making genuine foreign transactions so that your identity can be verified in order to prevent labelling you as a fraud.
If you want to get your international passport in the country, the agency responsible for that is The Nigeria Immigration Service. They are involved in processing and issuing your international passport once you have applied and paid the required fee for it. One thing you should know is that there are basically two groups of Nigerian international passport which are: The 64-page international passport and the 32-page international passport.
Both groups of passports can fall under three different passport types which can either be standard passport (green cover) for all Nigerian citizens, official passport (blue cover) for government officials or diplomatic passport (red cover) for Nigerian diplomats. The main reason why the 64-page Nigerian international passport was introduced is to cater for Nigerians who travel very often such that they exhaust their 32-page passport.
CURRENT COST OF INTERNATIONAL PASSPORT IN NIGERIA THIS 2021
Presently, this 2021, the cost of international passport in Nigeria which covers registration and issuance according to The Nigeria Immigration Service is ₦70,000 and this cost covers the newly introduced 64-page passport which has a 10-year validity period.
A 64-page Nigerian international passport with a 5-year validity period costs ₦35,000 while a 32-page passport with a 5-year validity period costs ₦25,000. This new cost took effect from March 4, 2019 and it is official. If you wish to renew your old passport, you should note that you will be required to pay the current amount for the 64-page passport.
Advantages and benefits of the new international passport in Nigeria include the following:
- 10-year validity period
- Self-tracking of visa applications, and
- Improved durability with polycarbonate technology
The price of international passport in Nigeria was increased in 2014 by the Nigeria Immigration Service from ₦7,000 to ₦20,000. However, the current price this 2021 stands at ₦70,000. You can check with the NIS for confirmation.
NIGERIAN INTERNATIONAL PASSPORT APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS
If you are applying for the Nigerian International Passport, you will be required to present the following documents:
For standard Passport (all Nigerian citizens), you will need to present:
- Local Government letter of identification.
- Birth certificate/age declaration.
- 2 recent colour passport photographs
- Guarantor’s form sworn to before a commissioner of Oaths/Magistrate/High Court Judge
- Parents’ letter of consent for minors under 16 years of age
- Marriage certificate where applicable
- Police report in case of lost passport
For official passport (government officials), you are required to present the following documents:
- Letter of introduction from appropriate State Government, Federal Government Ministry/Organization.
- Marriage certificate where applicable
- Police report in case of lost passport
- Letter of appointment / last promotion
All payments for your passport application can be made online on the application portal of the Nigeria Immigration Service.
HOW TO APPLY AND PAY FOR NIGERIAN INTERNATIONAL PASSPORT ONLINE
- Go to the Nigeria Immigration Service international passport application portal
- Find and select the appropriate application form to start the process:
- Select the passport type “Standard e-Passport” OR “Official e-Passport”, based on your desired passport choice after which you click on ‘Start Application’ button.
- Fill the Application form; make sure to check the ‘I ACCEPT FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE INFORMATION PROVIDED IN THIS FORM’ check box then click the “PRINT” button to print filled form.
- Submit your application and view ‘Applicant details page’
- Select “Proceed to Online Payment”
- Click to select Payment Currency “Pay in Naira” or “Pay in Dollars” option to choose your desired currency payment method, then Click on ‘Continue’ button
- Select the currency you want to use for payment (either Naira or US Dollars) and select the payment method whether you want to pay with your credit or debit card.
- If you choose to pay with your Credit/Debit card, select “Credit/Debit card” and click continue. You will be required to fill in your log-in details. Once that is done, click the “Login” button and by so doing, you will be automatically sent to the payment portal where you are required to click the “PAY” button. Once you reach the Payment portal, click on the “Continue” button where you will be prompted to “Value Card” payment page. Once you get to the page, input your card information and click on the “OK” button. After payment, the “Validation Number” is generated. Store it and use it to confirm the payment. You can also print a receipt by clicking the “Print the Receipt” button. After payment, the bank will issue an ‘approved payment platform provider’ receipt that contains a “Validation Number”. You will need this “Validation Number” for confirmation of payment on the portal.
- If you selected the option to pay at a bank, select “Bank” and click continue to see the list of banks provided, then click on ‘Continue’. You will be prompted to click the “Print Acknowledgment” button. The acknowledgement slip comprises of the Transaction ID, Application ID and Reference Number. You can take this to the participating bank and make the necessary payment.
- If you live outside Nigeria and you have selected a processing country other than Nigeria, your payment will be in US Dollars. You will be re-directed to an approved payment platform to complete your application and make your payment in US Dollars.
- Once you have made payment, you can take your receipt with the validation number to the Nigeria Immigration Service portal for confirmation of payment. You can follow the steps below:
- Go to the “Query your Application Payment Status” and enter your Passport Application ID and Reference Number.
- If a “Validation Number” field appears, enter the number from your ‘approved payment platform provider’ receipt. Remember that Validation Number has been generated after payment through Bank as well.
- Click the “Search Record” button and you will be sent to the “Applicant’s Details” page where a date for your interview has been generated.
- You can now print a Receipt or an Acknowledgement Slip by using the buttons on this page. (You will need them for your interview).
- You will be presented with your NIS e-receipt or Acknowledgement Slip in a new window. Click on “Print” button to send a copy to the printer.
When your payment has been confirmed, you can then go for your interview with the relevant documents required for it. Your interview schedule, final e-receipt and acknowledgment slip can be accessed using your Validation Number.
Take along your Nigeria Immigration Service e-Receipt with you when you’re going for your interview. The e-receipt can be printed when you click on the ‘Query your application payment status’ link on the NIS portal.
Select ‘Passport’ on the next page as an option under the ‘Application Type’ drop down. Fill in your Application ID, Reference Number and Validation Number (if applicable) and submit the details.
At this juncture, your full application details will be returned and you can scroll down the page to click on ‘Print receipt’ after which you will be presented with your NIS e-receipt in a new window. You can now click on ‘Print this receipt’ to send a copy to the printer.
Make sure to generate your Passport Guarantor’s Form which you will be required to present at your interview. To generate it, kindly peruse through the following steps:
- Click on “passport guarantor’s form” at the home page of the Nigeria Immigration Service portal
- Input the reference and ID number generated on your acknowledgment slip
- Select “Print” to print out first page and “Next” to print out second page (You are required to click the Print button).
When you are through with your application, the documents you’re required to take along with you to the passport office include the following:
- Acknowledgment slip and payment receipt together with 2 recent passport photographs (take as many recent passport photographs as you will need to the passport office just in case).
- Copy of duly completed application form
- Printed and signed application forms to Passport office
- Photocopy of Data page of Nigerian standard passport of your guarantor and Driving Licence or National Identity Card.
This is basically all you need to know about Nigerian International passport and it’s application and payment information.