This article is about NIWA salary structure in Nigeria currently in this year 2022. The salary scale the National Inland Waterways Authority (NIWA) is a growing topic among people who are interested in taking up a job at this Federal Government company and we will give a detailed breakdown of how much selected workers at NIWA are paid as salaries per month.
Due to the lack of accurate compensation statistics from most government agencies, several false information concerning salaries and allowances have emerged in the Nigerian public sector. The purpose of this post is to provide accurate and reliable information on the National Inland Waterways Authority’s salary scale and structure. To find out, we encourage you to kindly continue reading but before then, let us understand what the company is all about.
NATIONAL INLAND WATERWAYS AUTHORITY (NIWA): COMPANY OVERVIEW
The National Inland Waterways Authority (NIWA), which was formerly known as the Inland Waterways Department (IWD), is a statutory body, 100% owned by the Federal Government of Nigeria as a parastatal under the Federal Ministry of Transport. NIWA was established through Decree No. 13 of 1997 and commenced operations fully in 1998 with the primary responsibility to improve and develop Nigeria’s inland waterways for navigation.
This decree (No.13 of 1997) also gives the National Inland Waterways Authority (NIWA) the sole authority over all things concerning inland waterway management and control in the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
The Authority has 10 Area Offices and a Liaison Office at the following locations:
- Lokoja, Kogi State: Headquarters (Adankolo New Layout, PMB 1004, Lokoja).
- Lokoja, Kogi State: Area Office
- Makurdi, Benue State: Area Office
- Ibi, Taraba State: Area Office
- Calabar, Cross River State: Area Office
- Onitsha, Anambra State: Area Office
- Warri, Delta State: Area Office
- Port Harcourt, Rivers State: Area Office
- Ikoyi and Marina, Lagos State: Area Office
- Yelwa/Yauri, Kebbi State: Area Office
- Igbokoda: Area Office
- Maritime House, Abuja: Liaison Office.
BUSINESS ACTIVITIES OF THE NATIONAL INLAND WATERWAYS AUTHORITY (NIWA)
The major business activities of NIWA include the following:
- Improvement and development of the Inland Waterways for Navigation
- Provision of an alternative mode of transportation for evacuation of economic goods and persons
- Execution of the objectives of the National Transport Policy as they concern NIWA
- Issuance and control of licenses for inland navigation, piers, jetties, dockyards etc
- Operation of ferry services within the inland waterways system
- Financing capital development and maintenance dredging
- Undertaking of hydrological and hydrographical survey
- Approval and control of all jetties and dockyards
- Undertaking acquisition, leasing and hiring of properties etc.
FACILITIES/ASSETS OF THE ORGANIZATION
The following are the facilities/assets of the National Inland Waterways Authority (NIWA)
- 3 standard functional dockyards at Warri, Port Harcourt and Lokoja
- Jetties located at Lagos, Onitsha, Port Harcourt, Calabar and Warri
- 35 Vessels, of which 3 are functional
- 200 housing units in Warri
- 100 housing units in Lagos.
FUNCTIONS OF THE NATIONAL INLAND WATERWAYS AUTHORITY (NIWA)
The Authority has the following regulatory functions that include:
- Issuance and control of licenses for inland navigation, piers, jetties and dockyards
- Granting of licenses to private inland water crafts
- Approval of designs and construction of inland river crafts.
NIWA SALARY STRUCTURE IN NIGERIA 2022: HOW MUCH NIWA PAYS ITS WORKERS
The National Inland Waterways Authority (NIWA) operates the Consolidated Revenue Generating Agencies Salary Scale (CRGASS). This is a specific compensation scale for revenue generating organizations in Nigeria.
According to this salary scale, a Bachelor’s degree holder will be assigned to grade level 8 step 1, and will earn an average monthly salary of around ₦95,000.
Below are the various salaries per month of NIWA workers in Nigeria this 2022:
- Grade level 8 (Step 1-5): ₦92,000 – ₦98,000
- Grade level 9 (Step 1-8): ₦102,000 – ₦114,000
- Grade level 10 (Step 1-9): ₦151,000 – ₦173,000
- Grade level 12 (Step 1-8): ₦181,700 – ₦227,000
- Grade level 13 (Step 1-8): ₦254,000 – ₦278,000
- Grade level 14 (Step 1-7): ₦295,000 – ₦325,000
- Grade level 15 (Step 1-3): ₦334,000 – ₦337,000
- Grade level 16 (Step 1-6): ₦368,000 – ₦475,000
- Grade level 17 (Step 1-4): ₦593,000 – ₦692,000.
ALLOWANCES OF THE NATIONAL INLAND WATERWAYS AUTHORITY (NIWA)
Workers at the agency are paid basic allowances in addition to their basic salaries, such as travel allowances in the form of estacode, which is paid in dollars for international travel. Workers are also registered in the National Health Insurance Scheme, which provides them with lifelong coverage.
NATIONAL INLAND WATERWAYS AUTHORITY (NIWA) RECRUITMENT
Certain standards must be met in order to be accepted into the National Inland Waterways Authority (NIWA). Despite the Federal Government’s current restriction on all recruitment exercises into ministries and parastatals, several ministries continue to conduct replacement exercises.
BASIC REQUIREMENTS FOR RECRUITMENT INTO NIWA
You must meet the following basic prerequisites to be hired by the National Inland Waterways Authority.
- A bachelor’s degree or a Diploma in a comparable discipline is required.
- Possession of a discharge certificate from the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC)
- Possession of a legitimate form of identification, such as a voter’s card or a national identification card.
- Other requirements that the agency deems appropriate.
HOW TO APPLY FOR A JOB POSITION AT NIWA
To apply for a job with the National Inland Waterways Authority (NIWA), kindly go to the careers section of the agency’s official website www.niwa.gov.ng/careers but as at the time of writing, the organization’s website is not functional.
As required by law, recruitment for the National Inland Waterways Authority (NIWA) is announced via online outlets and national publications. It is also beneficial to have an insider who can alert you when a job opening arises at the agency.