There are quite a number of Nigerian universities that accept third class degree for masters programme. This is true and will serve as a welcome relief to many people in Nigeria who graduated with a third class degree and would like to further their studies by acquiring a masters degree without stress. In this post, we will look at the top universities in the country that accept third class for masters degree programme.
Truth be told, it is one of the most difficult things to do in the country to apply for masters degree with a third class, and getting a job with the said third class degree in Nigeria can be quite challenging; a herculean task. There are however, two good steps that anyone with a third class degree can take in order to be qualified for masters in some of the varsities in the country and they are: having adequate work experience and getting a postgraduate diploma.
Majority of the universities in the country can only allow second class lower division bachelor’s degree holders to apply for their masters programme. This in itself might look unfair to those who graduated with third class but not to worry, there are quite a number of top universties in Nigeria that accept third class for masters and we have compiled a comprehensive list of those varsities with their entry requirements. Do read carefully and apply to any if you have a third class degree and you meet their requirements for admission.
TOP UNIVERSITIES IN NIGERIA THAT ACCEPT THIRD CLASS FOR MASTERS: FULL LIST
Without further delay, here are the top universities thst accept third class as a requirement for masters degree in Nigeria:
UNIVERSITY OF IBADAN (UI)
One of the most prestigious universities in Nigeria, the University of Ibadan is one of the most lenient as far as considering degree classes for masters programme is concerned. In order to apply for a masters degree at this school with a third class, you must have relevant work experience and a post graduate diploma (PGD). By virtue of applying with a third class for masters degree programme at the University of Ibadan, courses available include the following:
- Master of Professional Ethics
- Professional Masters in Business Computing
- Professional Master’s Degree in Forensic Science
- Master of Managerial Psychology
- Professional Master of Science in Legal Criminology and Security Psychology
- Master of Social Work
- Professional Master Degree of Agro forestry
AMBROSE ALLI UNIVERSITY EKPOMA (AAU EKPOMA)
At AAU Ekpoma, most of their masters degree programme require at least a second class degree but there are some exceptions to the rule. For instance, if you are applying for LL.M, you will be considered based on having at least 5 years post call. Pursuing a masters in Architecture is possible if you have a portfolio that you have been updating for at least a year.
You will however, be required to go through an interview at the Department of Architecture before your application can be considered. You will be considered for admission into the university to pursue your masters degree with your third class bachelor’s degree if you have a PGD or Higher National Diploma (HND) and any other professional qualification from a recognized University.
Post Graduate options available at AAU include the following:
- Postgraduate Diploma in Architecture
- Postgraduate Diploma in Geography and Regional Planning
- Postgraduate Diploma in Electrical/Electronics
- Postgraduate Diploma in Mechanical Engineering
- Postgraduate Diploma in Materials/Production Engineering
- Postgraduate Diploma in Botany
- Postgraduate Diploma in Industrial Chemistry
- Postgraduate Diploma in Computer Science
- Postgraduate Diploma in Statistics
- Postgraduate Diploma in Microbiology
- Postgraduate Diploma in Zoology
- Postgraduate Diploma in Business Administration
- Postgraduate Diploma in Public Administration
- Postgraduate Diploma in Education
UNIVERSITY OF JOS (UNIJOS)
As is the case with many other universities, entry requirements for a masters degree for people who graduated with third class remain having valuable work experience and getting a post graduate diploma.
Available masters degree courses for third class bachelor’s degree holders include:
- M.Sc. Computer Science
- M.Sc. Microbial Biotechnology/M.Sc. Food and Industrial Microbiology/M.Sc. Environmental Microbiology
- M.Sc. Clinical Psychology/M.Sc. Organizational Psychology/M.Sc. Social and Terrorism Psychology
- M.Sc. Architecture
- M.Sc. Urban and Regional Planning.
ENUGU STATE UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY (ESUT)
At ESUT, candidates with a third class bachelor’s degree who are applying for masters programme must have obtained a post graduate degree, PGD, with a Cummulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 3.0/5.0. Prospective masters degree students who meet these requirements are considered for masters degree admission.
UNIVERSITY OF BENIN (UNIBEN)
If you have a third class bachelor’s degree and a post graduate diploma with UNIBEN or any other recognized university in the country, you will be considered for provisional admission into their masters degree programme.
LAGOS STATE UNIVERSITY (LASU)
At the Lagos State University, LASU, if you are a third class graduate and you have acquired your post graduate diploma, you are eligible for admission into some of their masters degree programmes such as a Masters in International Relations and Strategic Studies (MIRSS)
AHMADU BELLO UNIVERSITY, ZARIA (ABU ZARIA)
If you graduated with a third class and are willing to pursue a masters degree at ABU Zaria, you are required to have completed your post graduate diploma with at least five years of post-graduation work experience.
TAI SOLARIN UNIVERSITY OF EDUCATION (TASUED)
At TASUED If you have a third class degree, you will need to have a PGD in the same subject before you will be considered for admission into their masters degreeprogramme.
TARABA STATE UNIVERSITY (TASU)
At Taraba state university, third class degree holders can only pursue a masters degree in the faculty of Agriculture as long as they have five years of practice experience
KADUNA STATE UNIVERSITY (KASU)
Kaduna State University will only accept masters degree applications from those who graduated with a third class if they have their postgraduate diploma with nothing less than a CGPA of 3.5.
UNIVERSITY OF CALABAR (UNICAL)
At the University of Calabar, the following departments and faculty accept third class for masters as long as a post graduate diploma has been acquired:
- Department of Agricultural Extension and Rural Sociology
- Department of Crop Science
- Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences
CROSS RIVER UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY (CRUTECH)
At CRUTECH, third class graduates with as low as a CGPA of 2.75 and a post graduate diploma are considered for their masters degree programmes.
UMARU MUSA YAR’ADUA UNIVERSITY (UMYU)
The only programme at Umaru Musa Yar’adua University that third class graduates can apply to for masters is M.Sc. in Resource Development. They will also be required to have at least five years of relevant working experience.
COVENANT UNIVERSITY (CU)
Covenant University will accept third class graduates for their masters degree programme as long as they have a post graduate diploma with nothing less than a 3.50 CGPA.
OSUN STATE UNIVERSITY (OSU)
These are the available course options and the requirements for third class graduates who wish to pursue a masters degree at the Osun State University.
- Professional masters in International Studies (MIS) and Master in Intelligence and Strategic Studies (MISS)- 5 years of working experience in a relevant field
- Professional masters in Environmental Management – PGD or 3 years of working experience
- Professional masters in Disaster and Risk Management – 3 years of working experience