This article provides a complete list of universities that currently offer fashion design courses in Nigeria as of this year 2023. We have compiled a thorough list of the top fashion schools in Nigeria for you to pick from if you have ever wanted to study fashion designing at the university level but are unsure of which institutions you can apply to.
The fact that fashion designing is quickly rising to the top of the list of professions in Nigeria and throughout the world is not surprising given the large number of people who have come to accept it as a legitimate career option. A number of factors, including but not limited to culture, tradition, personal preferences, and religion, have an impact on the fashion business and its always evolving new trends and fashion styles.
The fashion design sector in Nigeria is highly adventurous, engaging, inventive, and fun. Many fashion designers who have come out of the nation and gained popularity both inside and outside of our borders include Toyin Lawani, Deola Sagoe, Lisa Folawiyo, Mai Atafo, Folake Coker, Amaka Osakwe, Yeni Kuti, Isoken Ogiemwonyi, Fade Ogunro, Taofeek Abijako, and Ade Bakare, to name a few. Majority of these big names who are among the best fashion designers in Nigeria and who own some of the best fashion schools in the nation serve as a source of inspiration for young, emerging fashion designers in the country today.
There are no age constraints in fashion designing. Fashion design is the art of using designs to convey a way of life, an aesthetic, a personality, or a message. Tailoring is more than simply crafting excellent clothing; it is about improving people’s lives, not just enhancing their appearances. It is a continuation and expression of the individual. Fashion communicates our identity, our desires, or our opinions. Fashion can also be used as a political instrument to spread either a positive or bad message. That said, let us look at the top educational institutions offering fashion designing in Nigeria today.
FULL LIST OF ALL UNIVERSITIES AND POLYTECHNICS THAT OFFER FASHION DESIGNING IN NIGERIA 2023
The complete list of universities and polytechnics in Nigeria that offer fashion designing this 2023 is as follows:
- University of Abuja (UNIABUJA)
- Auchi polytechnic (AUCHI POLY)
- Kalac Christal Polytechnic (KCPOLY)
- Kano State Polytechnic (KANOPOLY)
- Ibarapa Polytechnic, Eruwa ( IBARAPA POLY)
- Jigawa state institute of information technology (JSIIT)
- Kaduna Polytechnic (KADPOLY)
- Delta State Polytechnic (DELTAPOLY)
- Yaba College of Technology (YABA TECH)
- Federal Polytechnic, Oko (OKO POLY)
- Benue State Polytechnic (BENPOLY)
- Hussaini Adamu Federal Polytechnic, Kazaure
- Institute of Management Technology, Enugu (IMT Enugu).
If you are thinking about doing a fashion designing course in Nigeria, it is highly recommended that you enroll in a polytechnic. Polytechnics support learning that is applied practically. So if you want to be a good fashion designer, you need that as they offer a lot of real-world instruction and practice.
PREREQUISITES FOR STUDYING FASHION DESIGNING IN A NIGERIAN INSTITUTION
You may be wondering what the requirements are for studying fashion designing in Nigeria. Here is the answer to that question. Exams and tests are required for admission to any Nigerian tertiary educational institution. The same is true for fashion designing; there are requirements that must be met. Here is a list of subjects you must have in your JAMB and WAEC results in order to study fashion designing in any institution in Nigeria.
The subject combination and O’Level requirements for studying fashion design include the following.
- A compulsory pass in home economics or technical drawing
- A pass in English and Mathematics is required, along with two other subjects.
- A credit or pass in any of the following subjects: home management, history, physics, fine art, chemistry, biology/agricultural science, clothing and textiles, literature in English, and so on.
You are expected to; after completing the required O’Level subject combinations:
- Combine Mathematics and English language with any other three JAMB subjects relevant to fashion designing.
- To be considered for admission, you must meet the polytechnic’s minimum cut-off mark.
- You are eligible for admission with these, even if you must go through a screening process or take additional exams to be chosen.
DIRECT ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
This is for people who want to use their HND certificate to enroll in a university course instead of taking the JAMB exam. Such candidates must present:
- Their O’Level Requirements, as well as
- The Statement of results for any fashion design courses taken at any polytechnic.