This article is a comprehensive list of common farm tools in Nigeria and their uses. Farm tools are equipment used on farms to facilitate work, cut labour costs, and increase productivity. Farming is made possible, in part, by agricultural tools and equipment. We will look at some of the many pieces of farm equipment that are used for various tasks at various phases of farming, from soil preparation through planting and harvesting.
LIST OF COMMON FARM TOOLS IN NIGERIA AND THEIR USES
The following are some of the common farm tools that are available in Nigeria and their uses:
- Bolo: A bolo is a cutting tool with a knife-like appearance. It is typically used to trim back vegetation, remove tall weeds and grasses, and cut down tree branches.
- Crowbar: A crowbar, also known as a wrecking bar, is mostly used for digging holes. Additionally, it is used to remove stumps and stones. It can also be used as a handgrip for a lever.
- Pick-mattock: This is a typical tool used in gardening and landscaping. For digging and crushing stones, it is a very useful farm tool.
- Grab-hoe: A grab-hoe is useful for breaking up tough soils. It is also employed to smoothly smash stubborn dirt.
- Spade: You can remove soil or dirt with a spade. Digging can also be done using it.
- Shovel: The shovel is useful for quickly removing any dirt, moving soil, and digging. Shovels come in a variety of designs and are used for various tasks. The trench shovel, post hole shovel, and circular digger shovel are a few of them.
- Rake: A rake resembles a broom but is constructed of metal. It is a farming implement used for weeding out fields and collecting hay, among other things.
- Spading Fork: Roots can be dug out, soil can be loosened, and materials can be turned in a compost pile with a spading fork.
- Light Hoe: A light hoe is utilized for soil leveling and aeration. Additionally, it is used to dig planting furrows.
- Hand Trowel: Hand trowel is used to make the soil surrounding plants more pliable
- Hand Cultivator: A hand cultivator is a basic gardening tool used for weeding and cultivating vegetable plots.
- Hand fork: Hand forks are used to lift, turn, and mix compost with soil as well as to break up and loosen up hard soil. They are used to lift and transplant plants and seedlings as well as remove weeds. They can also be used to aerate the soil.
- Pruning Shears: Pruning shears or pruning scissors heavy, razor-sharp scissors that are used to trim plant stems and tree branches.
- Axe: An axe is used to cut large tree branches and wood.
- Knife: A knife is a versatile cutting tool.
- Sprinklers: Sprinklers are simply tools for watering plants.
- Sprayers: A sprayer is a farm instrument used to spray liquid. On a farm, it can be used to spray insecticides, herbicides, pesticides, water, and other chemicals.
- Wheelbarrow: A wheelbarrow is used to transport lightweight items around the field such as fertilizers, manures, plants, seeds, waste materials, and other items.
- Sickle: A well-known and ancient hand-held agricultural tool. It has a curved blade that is used for weed cutting.
- Scythe: A scythe is a versatile hand-held agricultural implement used for mowing cereals and other herbaceous plants. It has a sharp, curved blade.
- Tractor: A tractor is a popular and necessary piece of farming equipment. It is a vehicle designed specifically for hauling various types of agricultural machinery. Modern tractors can be used for planting, tilling, fertilizer spreading, and other tasks.
- Cultivator: This machine is used to perform secondary tillage on a field. It is usually equipped with rotary motion and used to remove weeds as well as pulverize and stir the soil before planting.
- Cultipacker: This is the machine used to crush soil clods. To form a smooth, firm seedbed, it can be used to remove cracks, press small stones, and remove air pockets.
- Plough: A plough is one of the oldest agricultural tools. This farm equipment’s purpose is to cultivate the soil and prepare it for sowing. Ploughs were pulled by animals before mechanized farming. Ploughs are now pulled by tractors in modern times. A plough can be made from a variety of materials. Its structure may vary, but the main component is the blade, which cuts through the soil and loosens it.
- Harrow: A harrow is a piece of equipment used to break up and smooth the soil’s surface. It is employed to break up soil clumps and provide a good soil structure ideal for seedbeds.
- Subsoiler: During deep tillage, this tractor-mounted tool breaks up and loosens the soil. In locations where soil compaction is an issue, it is utilized to enhance crop growth.
- Irrigation Sprinkler: A crop field is irrigated using an irrigation sprinkler, also known as a water sprinkler. It assists in maintaining the required level of humidity and irrigating huge regions.
- Agricultural roller: This is used to flatten or break up huge clumps of dirt. A tractor frequently pulls the roller.
- Seed drill: A seed drill is the tool used for planting. It is used to plant seeds at the right depth and distance from one another.
CLASSIFICATION OF FARM EQUIPMENT
In modern farming, a broad variety of agricultural tools are employed. Based on how they are used, these tools can be grouped into five primary groups.
FARM EQUIPMENT USED FOR IRRIGATION
On vast farms, this kind of machinery is utilized to irrigate the crops. Pump units and central pivot irrigation systems are typically included.
FARM TOOLS FOR CULTIVATING THE SOIL
These are used to plow the ground and get it ready for planting. Among the tools used to cultivate soil are tilers, disk harrows, and moldboard ploughs.
These are used for planting saplings and seeds once the land has been cultivated.
When crops are fully mature, harvesting machinery is employed to gather them. Diggers, trailers, pickers, and other tools are some examples of harvesting equipment.
MISCELLANEOUS AGRICULTURAL EQUIPMENT
These pieces of agricultural machinery are used on farms to perform ancillary tasks like hay production, shredding, and loading.
Whether cultivating crops in small gardens or on large-scale farms, agricultural tools and equipment are essential at every stage of the process. Without the use of some implements, farming tasks would be all but impossible.implements.