This post is about the ICPC salary structure in Nigeria this 2023 in order to know how much the staff members of the Independent Corrupt Practices and other related offences Commission (ICPC) earn as their monthly take home. Salaries are paid according to grade levels and we shall see all about that shortly. For now, let us know what this federal government parastatal is all about.
OVERVIEW OF THE INDEPENDENT CORRUPT PRACTICES AND OTHER RELATED OFFENCES COMMISSION (ICPC)
The Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Act 2000 (Act 2000) brought a fresh and decisive perspective to the fight against corruption in the form of a holistic approach encompassing enforcement, prevention and educational measures. It captures in a single document, a host of corrupt offences in their old and sophisticated guises. It sets up the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission with wide-ranging powers. The Act brings under its purview all Nigerians, in the private and public sectors and even those public officers with constitutional immunity.
The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) was inaugurated on September 29, 2000 by the former Nigerian President, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, GCFR. The Commission is at the hub of Nigeria’s fight against corruption.
In the order set out at section 6 of the Act 2000, the first duty of the Commission is to receive complaints, investigate and prosecute offenders. Other duties include reviewing and modifying the systems and procedures of public bodies as well as education of the public and fostering their support in combating corruption.
The ICPC is a federal government agency in Nigeria which is mandated to receive and investigate complaints from members of the public on allegations of corrupt practices and in appropriate cases, prosecute the offenders. To examine the practices, systems, and procedures of public bodies and where such systems aid corruption, to direct and supervise their review.
FUNCTIONS OF THE ICPC
According to Section 6 (a-f) of the ICPC Act 2000, the following are the functions of the Independent Corrupt Practices And Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC):
- To receive and investigate complaints from members of the public on allegations of corrupt practices and in appropriate cases, prosecute the offenders.
- To examine the practices, systems and procedures of public bodies and where such systems aid corruption, to direct and supervise their review.
- To instruct, advise and assist any officer, agency, or parastatal on ways by which fraud or corruption may be eliminated or minimized by them.
- To advise heads of public bodies of any changes in practice, systems or procedures compatible with the effective discharge of the duties of public bodies to reduce the likelihood or incidence of bribery, corruption and related offences.
- To educate the public on and against bribery, corruption and related offences.
- To enlist and foster public support in combating corruption.
With respect to the prosecution of cases, the Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Act 2000 provides that every prosecution for offences under it shall be deemed to be done with the consent of the Attorney-General of the Federation.
Furthermore, it is provided that the Chief Judge of a State or the Federal Capital Territory shall designate a court or judge to hear and determine all cases arising under the Act. Presently, there are two such designated Judges in each State of the Federation and the Federal Capital Territory.
ICPC SALARY STRUCTURE IN NIGERIA 2023: WHAT THEY PAY THEIR WORKERS
As earlier stated, the salary structure of ICPC workers in Nigeria is dependent on grade levels and other determinants that serve as the distinction between officers at the same rank in this anti-graft commission of the Federal Government of Nigeria.
This 2023, the average salary of entry level workers at ICPC Nigeria on grade level 8, step 1 is about ₦74,000 per month, and this amounts to a total pay packet of just over ₦800,000 every year. Their counterparts on grade Level 8, step 2 are paid a starting salary of ₦75,000 per month.
Graduates of Polytechnics, that is, HND holders at ICPC Nigeria are placed on grade level 7, step 1 and they are paid monthly a monthly salary of about ₦50,000, which equates to ₦600,000 per annum. Allowances and bonuses improve their pay packet significantly.
Other workers salary at ICPC Nigeria include the following:
- Legal Adviser: ₦158,000 per month
- Programmer: ₦105,000 per month
- Senior Administrative Officer: ₦76,000 per month
- Senior Officer: ₦53,000 per month.