In this article we will guide you on how to register a new car in Nigeria this 2022. It is very necessary that once you have just bought a new car, what should follow immediately is the registration process of your vehicle so as to get the necessary documents that will prove beyond reasonable doubt that you own the car and have not stolen it. If you want to know more about vehicle registration in Nigeria, then you are advised to keep reading.
In order to own a car first, there are certain things you need to first put in place. First of, you must have attended driving school or gotten someone very experienced to teach you how to drive a car in order to be well grounded on the do’s and don’ts of driving. Upon finishing your driving school and getting your certificate, you will be required to apply for your driving licence.
The driving licence is in two types, the one for three years and the one for five years and it can be gotten at the nearest FRSC or VIS office to you depending on what you want. Upon getting your driving licence, you are now a certified driver. Next thing is to get read your new vehicle and take your car for registration in order for it to be properly documented as your own as stipulated in the laws of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
For you to register your car in Nigeria successfully, there are certain things you need to do or put in place. Please note that these documents are very vital to your continued ownership of your car and failure to have them in your possession exposes you to being apprehended by the appropriate security agencies in Nigeria.
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS FOR REGISTRATION OF A NEW CAR IN NIGERIA
If you want to register your new car in Nigeria currently below are the documents that you need in order to do just that:
- Attestation Letter from the Company of Purchase
- Receipt/Invoice of Purchase
- Delivery Note from the Company of Purchase
- Proof of Ownership of the Car
- Valid Driving Licence
- Valid Means of Identification (National ID Card, Voter’s Card or International Passport)
- Proof of Current Residential Address (You can also use of your Utility/Nepa Bill)
- Passport Photograph of the Car Owner.
The following additional documents are required for new imported cars:
- Tax Identification Number (TIN).
- Custom papers stating that the car has been cleared by the Nigeria Customs Service.
- Motor Vehicle Duty Certificate
STEP BY STEP GUIDE ON HOW TO REGISTER A NEW CAR IN NIGERIA (2022)
The following is a guide on how to register your motor vehicle in Nigeria this 2022. We have listed the steps in order to make it easy for you to understand how to go about your car registration in Nigeria. Theses steps include the following:
- Visit the nearest State Board of Internal Revenue/Motor Licencing Authority (SBIR/MLA) to pick up your “allocation of plate number” form and fill the form appropriately
- Attach all necessary documents required and submit
- Once you meet the requirements of the authorities in charge of motor vehicle registration, you will be required to fill more forms as follows: Allocation of Registration Number of New Vehicle Form, Auto Vehicle Licence Form, Form B, Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) Form, and Tax Form.
- Every form filled, together with other attached documents are then forwarded to the police officer assigned to the licencing office for verification. Verification is done by stamping and/or signing on them and dated.
- After verification comes payment for number plate which is done in the bank. The amount charged for this is usually about ₦50,000 and this depends on the type of number plate that you want.
- Once you are through with payment, you will be required to present your receipt and an available number plate will be allocated to you. Other documents you will be given include: Proof of Ownership Certificate, Proof of Ownership Certificate Number and a Vehicle Identification Tag (VIT)
- Then your original documents you presented at the beginning of your vehicle registration will be given back to you. Ensure that you cross check so as to make sure that none of your originals is missing.
- After all the steps leading to this, you will be required to buy an auto insurance policy for your new vehicle. This can be a comprehensive or third party car insurance.
Once all these steps are completed, you can now safely drive your car around town because you now own all the required documents that ensure that the car is truly yours and when these documents are presented to the law enforcement agencies, you are rest assured that no one will harass you.