This article is about how to produce home made coconut oil in Nigeria today, also known as pure or virgin coconut oil. Here, Nigerian Guide will give you very easy steps on how you can make pure coconut oil at home. So we advise that you read through to find out more.
Coconut oil has become an indispensable product in the beauty and cosmetics industry in Nigeria. This can be ascribed to the product’s diverse applications. The majority of superstores in the country are stocked with various types of coconut oil, and seeing that different brands of these coconut oils found in many superstores in Nigeria were created for commercial purposes, it is quite difficult to distinguish between pure and adulterated coconut oils.
Many people would rather use commercially produced coconut oils that are full of emulsifiers, chemicals, and hydrogenated fats but if you could just produce your coconut oil at home by yourself wouldn’t that be nice? Your guess is as good as ours and we will enlighten you on the steps to take in order to produce your pure, virgin coconut oil at home in a moment, kindly stay with us to learn more, and you can be rest assured that these processes are pretty straightforward.
It is highly suggested that you extract the oil from coconuts yourself if you actually want your coconut oil to be pure. Coconut oil is a type of edible oil derived from mature coconut kernels. As aforementioned, pure coconut oil is another name for virgin coconut oil. The reason why it is called virgin coconut oil is because during production, no heat was used in the extraction process or that minimal heat at a very low temperature was employed in the extraction of the coconut oil. Pure coconut oil has a strong flavour and scent, and it contains more antioxidants, protein, vitamins, and beneficial fatty acids than regular coconut oil.
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN PURE HOME MADE COCONUT OIL AND FACTORY MADE COCONUT OIL
Because of how it is extracted, homemade coconut is unique. It has a distinctive flavour and aroma, and is packed with antioxidants, protein, vitamins, and healthy fats. While factory made coconut oils are frequently loaded with emulsifiers, chemicals, and hydrogenated fats.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF HOME MADE COCONUT OIL
Coconut oil has a plethora of health advantages. This oil can be used for a variety of purposes besides cooking. Coconut oil is extremely medicinal and has a number of therapeutic properties that as as follows:
- Mouth ulcers can be cured with homemade coconut oil.
- Pure oil aids in the reduction of harmful cholesterol.
- Because it is light and fresh, the oil is a fantastic moisturizer for dry skin, especially for new born babies.
- Coconut oil is a fantastic beauty item that can aid with dandruff and acne or pimples prevention.
- Digestion is aided by the use of coconut oil.
STEP BY STEP PROCESSES ON HOW TO PRODUCE HOME MADE COCONUT OIL IN NIGERIA
Now that you have seen the advantages of manufacturing coconut oil at home, we will show you the processes on how to do it, but but before then, be informed that up to 6 litres of coconut milk can be extracted from 18 to 20 coconuts; around 300 grams of coconut oil can be extracted from this milk. It is also worth knowing that 3 to 4 coconuts yield 1 litre of coconut milk, from which 50 grams of oil can be extracted. The amount of coconuts you utilize is determined by how much coconut oil you require.
The method we will teach you today is known as the Hot Process and method, and it is a tried and true procedure that has been around for a long time. It does not necessitate the use of any machine; all that is required are common kitchen utensils. This technique has been used to produce home made coconut oil for a very long time, and it is a simple process.
Here Are The Following Steps On How To Produce Home Made Coconut Oil In Nigeria Today:
- Remove the coconut flesh from the shell and shred it
- Squeeze the coconut milk out of the flesh using your hands in a cotton cloth. Make sure there is a dish underneath the cotton cloth to catch the liquid. To make it easier to handle, add a small amount of hot water and press out all of the milk
- To remove any contaminants, sieve the collected coconut milk with a cotton cloth
- Place the coconut milk in a pot and heat it over fire. Allow it to cook for 2 to 3 hours on a low heat setting
- Continue stirring until the milk turns brown in color. Make sure it does not burn
- Remove the milk from the fire once it has been concentrated and allow it to cool
- Squeeze the oil out of the cooled thickened milk using a cotton towel
- Keep the extracted oil in an airtight plastic bottle.
WHAT IS THE SHELF LIFE OF HOME MADE COCONUT OIL?
Coconut oil prepared at home can last for a year or 7-10 months, depending on how well it is stored. Keep the coconut oil extract in an airtight container and do not leave it out in the open, as it will become polluted and lose its beneficial properties.