This post will guide you on how to apply for, and get your Tax Identification Number (TIN) in Nigeria this 2023. It is important to note that every citizen of Nigeria who is a business owner, or who works in the corporate world, as well as in the civil service of the country, is required to have their Tax Identification Number (TIN).
What the Tax Identification Number (TIN) does is that it helps to identify individuals and corporate bodies as bona-fide tax payers in Nigeria. So that you understand how important the TIN is, you should know that according to the new financial bill in Nigeria which took effect in February 2020, the TIN has been made compulsory for business owners and corporate organizations, effectively making it a must have if you want to continue doing business as an individual or a company in the country.
Going forward, in order for you to apply for and get your Tax Identification Number successfully, there are guidelines to follow which has been set by the Joint Tax Board (JTB) in Nigeria. These guidelines are necessary as they help you obtain your TIN without stress and without you falling into the hands of unscrupulous elements who pose as government officials to dupe you of your hard earned money. At this juncture, it is important to notify you that getting the TIN in the country is free.
The availability of advanced, modern electronic systems which are interconnected with every State in the Federation by the Joint Tax Board has made it possible to obtain your Tax Identification Number stress free and at no cost (very important). With this system, the issue of multiple taxation on individuals and companies by the Federal Inland Revenue Services (FIRS) has been greatly contained.
HOW TO GET YOUR TAX IDENTIFICATION NUMBER (TIN) ONLINE IN NIGERIA 2023
As is the case with many online application processes in the country, getting your Tax Identification Number this 2023 will require you to fill out an application form in order to verify your identity. In order to get your TIN as an individual, the Joint Tax Board website has stipulated that you must provide your Bank Verification Number (BVN) as a criterion. Individuals are automatically assigned a TIN based on their BVN or National Identity Number (NIN). For non-individuals such as registered businesses, incorporated companies, etc., in order to apply for your TIN, follow the link to the TIN portal to help you do so easily
GUIDE ON HOW TO FILL THE TIN APPLICATION FORM
When you commence filling the TIN online application form, kindly take note of the following:
- Fill in all sections on the online application form marked with the asterisks (*) symbol. They are very important.
- Provide a valid e-mail address that will be used during your application process. This is very necessary as well.
- You are also required to provide a registered mobile phone number (11 digits).
- When filling your name and address lines, be sure not to exceed 200 characters including symbols and letters.
WHAT YOU NEED IN ORDER TO GET YOUR TAX IDENTIFICATION NUMBER (TIN)
The following are the requirements for getting your TIN in Nigeria.
Individuals whose businesses have not been duly registered with the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC), who wish to obtain their Tax Identification Number (TIN) are required to do the following:
- Complete the TIN application form online
- Present a valid means of identification which will be used for your verification at the tax office. Any of the following forms of identification will suffice: Nigerian International Passport, National Drivers’ Licence, National Identity Card, or your Staff Identity Card.
If a company or a registered business with the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) wants to obtain their TIN, below are the requirements:
- Complete the TIN application form online
- Provide your Business name registration certificate (for Enterprise or Business) or Certificate of incorporation (for Companies), presenting the registration number where necessary.
- Provide the relevant documents stating the date you started your business, the current address of the business and the principal location of the business.
- After you have satisfied the requirements for getting the TIN either as an individual or as a business at the tax office, you will need to update the TIN you got from the tax office and this is done by providing the valid e-mail address and registered phone number which you used when registering for your TIN.
VERIFICATION OF YOUR TAX IDENTIFICATION NUMBER (TIN)
Your updated TIN will now be verified in order to ensure that you can do business with it without any hindrance. Sometimes, registering for TIN comes with registration for Value Added Tax (VAT) and Company Income Tax. This is done when your company or business has operated for six months and has been registered with the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC). It is mandatory to file monthly VAT and tax returns after you have registered your Tax Identification Number (TIN). In order to be sure that you already have the number, you can check online to see if you have an existing TIN via the TIN verification portal.
WHY YOU NEED THE TAX IDENTIFICATION NUMBER
You as an individual or a business/corporate body need the TIN because it proves that you are a registered and verified tax payer in the country, seeing that tax paying in Nigeria is mandatory and stipulated by the law.
Upon successfully completing your registration with the tax office, you will be issued your unique Tax Identification Number (TIN) .
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO APPLY FOR TIN IN NIGERIA 2023?
According to the Joint Tax Board website, applying for TIN is totally free if you do it on your own and if you have not incurred any tax penalty based on the time-frame given according to the law to obtain your TIN, either as an individual or as a company. There are no fees to be paid unless you intend to employ the services of trusted third parties to assist you in registering and obtaining the TIN.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO OBTAIN TAX IDENTIFICATION NUMBER (TIN) IN NIGERIA?
Obtaining your TIN usually takes about 48 hours, that is two days after your TIN request has been submitted. TIN request can be done online via https://tin.jtb.gov.ng
1 CommentAdd a Comment
Please help to get tin number