Estonian visa is one of the sort after visas for travelling abroad these days. This article will guide you on how to apply for Estonian visa in Nigeria, the requirements and processes. Find out more.
If you want to process a visa to travel to Estonia, the first thing you should be aware of is that there is no recognized Embassy of Estonia in Nigeria, and you will be required to go through the Embassy of Belgium in Nigeria to do so, as this embassy handles Estonian visa applications in the country. For more information, see here.
Estonia is a Schengen country, and you will need to apply for a Schengen visa to visit the beautiful European nation. This allows you access to Estonia and some visa free countries around it.
Schengen countries are a group of 26 European countries which signed a treaty that abolished their internal borders in order to allow free and unrestricted movement of people in that area, making it possible for them to have common rules for controlling external borders and fighting criminality by strengthening their common judicial system and police cooperation.
This treaty was signed near the town of Schengen in Luxembourg on June 14,1985 by Belgium, France, Luxembourg, the Netherlands and former West Germany.
The Schengen Area spans most of the countries that make up the European Union, excluding the United Kingdom, Ireland and some neighbouring countries around them.
Countries that are not members of the European Union, but are part of the Schengen area include Norway, Iceland, Switzerland and Lichtenstein.
Part of the things to learn on how to apply for Estonian visa in Nigeria is that there are two major categories of the visa you are seeking for and they are:
- The Short Term Visa, and
- The Long Term Visa.
The short term visa encompasses things like business, a visit abroad to family and friends, tourism etc., and you can only get a short term business visa if you’re going to Estonia for a conference, training, meeting or trade fair.
Applying for the tourist or family and friends visa simply means that you are going to Estonia on holidays for the sole purpose of just visiting it because your family is there or you want to enjoy the beautiful sites in the country.
You should take note that these visas do not exceed 90 days, meaning that you will not be permitted additional stay if your visa expires after three months.
Going to Estonia for a period longer than 90 days means that you are to apply for visas known as national visas which are issued by the member state in accordance with the national law.
In Lagos, a joint visa application centre is situated there and you can submit your application for a longer stay at the centre for processing.
When you are applying to this type of visa, it should be due to the fact that you are going for your studies, you’re going for a medical, or that you’re getting married there or simply because you got employed there.
Long term visas to Estonia are valid for up to 6 months but if you desire to stay for a period longer than that, you will need to apply for a resident permit.
Part of the things you must be familiar with on how to apply for Estonian visa in Nigeria are the documents required when you want to travel. These include:
- Your statement of account for the last 4 – 6 months
- A proof of your assets or business(es)
- A letter from you employer stating your employment status
- A letter of sponsorship if applicable
- Your tax report
Additional information to provide are the relevant pages from your passport stating your date of birth, nationality and the stamped pages in it.
If you are being sponsored you are required to present information about the bank statement of your sponsor in the the last 4 – 6 months. A letter from the person or institution sponsoring you with the finance is required as well.
If you have been invited by your child to Estonia, you will be required to present a birth certificate and an official document affirming you are the parent and if it is your spouse that has invited you over, you will be required to provide a certificate of marriage and a statutory declaration of common law union.
Your application should also indicate your purpose of travel. For instance, if it’s a medical reason, there should be a medical document backing your claim.
You also need to instruct your host on how to write the letter inviting you. Important information you need to note about this letter of invitation include the following:
- The letter must state the reason and duration of your visit. It must also state the type of relationship that exist between you and your invitee
- If you have been invited by a company, your letter of invitation must be printed using the inviting company’s letter head
- There summary of the reason for your invite must be stated
- The company invitation letter must have the full names of the invited employees as well their length of stay
Other things to note after filling your visa application form, which must have been done in capital letters and duly signed include:
- Your Nigerian Passport having least six months of remaining validity and photocopies of your passport and ID card
- Passport photograph
- Medical travel insurance
- Bank statement showing proof of sufficient funds with at least $60 each day for the duration of your stay
- A letter from your Nigerian employer showing that you have been granted a leave of absence
- Self employed people are required to present a copy of their business licence, including their tax return.
- Bank statement of host or sponsor should be presented and you should state if you are going to receive sponsorship from them.
- A letter of invitation, with the contact details of your host as well as your purpose and duration of visit should also be provided if you’re visiting family or friends. The letter should also capture the status of your hosts in the country you’re visiting as well as their signature indicating authenticity.
A fee of N21,900 is required to be paid for short term visit, study, family reunion, employment, training, medical or official assignment.
This aids in the processing of your Estonian visa for the above stated reasons and the process takes any time from two days to two months depending on the nature of your visa application.