This article is about the current FIRS salary structure in Nigeria this 2023. If you have always desired to work at the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS) and you want to know what their salary structure is, then this article is for you as we will reveal to you the breakdown of the monthly take home pay of some FIRS workers in order to give you an idea on what to expect as a future staff of this government company.
OVERVIEW OF THE FEDERAL INLAND REVENUE SERVICE (FIRS)
The Federal Inland Revenue Service was established in 1943 in order to work as an effective tax system to monitor the tax activity of Nigerian citizens. The purpose of their creation is to deliver quality service to all taxpayers and use the tax paid to the Federal Government of Nigeria as the means for national development.
Some of their qualities are:
- Respect to taxpayers
- Continuous learning
- Information Sharing
- Collaborative Decision Making
- Team Spirit
ORGANIZATIONAL STRUCTURE OF THE FEDERAL INLAND REVENUE SERVICE (FIRS)
The Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS) is overseen by a board that consists of The Executive Chairman as well as the following members:
- A representative of the Attorney-General of the Federation
- The Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria or his representative
- A representative of the Minister of Finance not below the rank of a Director
- The Chairman of the Revenue Mobilization, Allocation and Fiscal Commission
- The Group Managing Director of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation
- The Comptroller-General of the Nigeria Customs Service or his representative not below the rank of Deputy Comptroller-General;
- The Registrar-General of the Corporate Affairs Commission or his representative
- The Chief Executive Officer of the National Planning Commission or his representative
FUNCTIONS OF THE FEDERAL INLAND REVENUE SERVICE
The FIRS is the only federal government parastatal that is saddled with the responsibility of assessing, collecting and collating taxes for the FG and they are tasked with the following functions:
- The timely provision and publication of accurate data and annual reports to the Federal Government of Nigeria and other stakeholders to inform national economic planning, academic research, tax policy and development legislation.
- The timely provision of tax advisory services, rulings, guidance notes and clarifications on request and to the public in general
- The regular investigation, enforcement and prosecution of tax defaulters as provided by the law
- The issuance of Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) at zero cost to the taxpayer
- The prompt processing of payment claims and tax refund requests received, within stated timeframes
- Undertake appropriate actions to reduce the arrears position of the service and minimize debt profile
- The regular and accurate reconciliation of taxes received into Federation, Consolidated and VAT as the case may be
- Provision of tax education and information to taxpayers through diverse channels and languages
FIRS SALARY STRUCTURE IN NIGERIA 2023
Currently in this 2023, the average grade level 8 entry level workers salary per month at the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS) is about ₦103,987 which totals the sum of ₦1,247,844 per year, while the starting salary of their fellow staff members on grade level 7 is about ₦89,434 per month, which translates to ₦1,073,208 per annum.
The above are basic salaries and the figures given are what FIRS fresh graduates earn before pension and tax deductions. However, as is the case with federal government jobs, FIRS employees are entitled to allowances and bonuses, and salary increase once they are promoted.
NYSC corps members working at the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS) are paid a salary in the range between ₦34,000 – ₦46,000 on a monthly basis. This is really good for corpers who need a place of primary assignment that will pay them all through their service year and this shows that the FIRS is one of companies that pay corpers well in the country.
Kindly note that the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS) pay their workers based on certain factors such as grade level, years of experience, and position occupied in the company.
Below is a list of the salary scale range for other employees at the FIRS in Nigeria this 2023:
- Assistant Manager: ₦310,000 – ₦331,000 per month
- Tax Administrator: ₦342,000 – ₦360,000 per month
- Development Advisor: ₦279,000 – ₦298,000 per month
- Inspector of Taxes: ₦382,000 – ₦412,600 per month
- Accounting Clerk (Intern): ₦67,000 – ₦73,000 per month
- Accountant: ₦198,000 – ₦211,000 per month
- Human Resources Generalist: ₦479,000 – ₦517,000 per month
- VAT Officer (NYSC Youth Corper): ₦24,000 – ₦26,000 per month
- Tax Officer: ₦289,600 – ₦310,000 per month.
These are the amounts paid to FIRS employees per month. Kindly take note that figures are subject to change with time.