In this article, we will discuss the current prices of POP ceilings in Nigeria in this year 2023 so that you, our dear readers, will be furnished with the most up-to-date information on the latest estimated costs of POP ceilings in case you are working on a building project or know someone who is, and wants to buy but has no idea how much POP ceilings cost in today’s market in Nigeria.
POP ceilings are under the category of false, dropped, or suspended ceilings, and they are composed of Plaster of Paris, as the name implies. They are also known as secondary ceilings because they are suspended from the main ceiling using suspension cords or struts. POP ceilings are popular in Nigeria nowadays due to their aesthetic appeal and the atmosphere they create in the space where they are installed.
Flat and basic ceilings are becoming increasingly out of style, owing to the fact that people nowadays are looking for solutions that make the traditional flat ceiling look appealing while spending wisely. As a result of the recent surge in false ceilings, particularly POP ceilings, it has become easier for people to enhance the beauty of any place, whether it be an office, commercial complex, residential structure, or any other space that requires POP installation.
The appeal of POP artificial ceilings is also also due to the fact that they hide electrical wiring, resulting in a neater ceiling. That said, we shall be looking at the current prices of POP ceilings in Nigeria shortly, and we would d like you to be aware that the prices of POP ceilings in Nigeria are influenced by a variety of factors, including location, vendor, season, transportation costs, and the cost of raw materials used in their manufacture.
CURRENT PRICES OF POP CEILINGS IN NIGERIA 2023
On the average, the current cost of POP ceilings in Nigeria today is between the price range of ₦5,000 – ₦8,000 per square metre. Going by this, it may cost you at least ₦70,000 to install POP ceiling in a single room. Please keep in mind that putting a definite pricing estimate for POP ceilings is difficult due to the fact that there are numerous POP vendors or contractors across the country, each with their own set of costs.
PLASTER OF PARIS (POP): BRIEF OVERVIEW
Plaster of Paris (POP) is a building material made primarily of the hard mineral Gypsum. It is used to create architectural designs as well as to coat walls and ceilings. Plaster of Paris is sold as a dry powder that must be combined with water to make a paste. Some of its benefits and drawbacks are listed below.
ADVANTAGES OF PLASTER OF PARIS (POP)
- It is light in weight and durable
- It has low thermal conductivity
- Plaster of Paris (POP) is resistant to fire
- It is a heat insulating material
- POP does not shrink while setting. Therefore, it does not develop cracks on heating or setting
- It forms a thick surface to resist normal knocks after drying
- It mixes up easily with water and is easy to spread and level
- POP has good adhesion on fibrous materials
- It gives a firm surface on which the colours can settle
- It has no appreciable chemical action on paint and does not cause alkali attack
- Plaster of Paris gives a decorative interior finish. Its gypsum content provides it a lot of shine and smoothness
- It can easily be moulded into any shape
- Once it is fixed, it is fixed. It becomes very difficult to remove POP.
DISADVANTAGES OF PLASTER OF PARIS (POP)
- It is not suitable in moist environments
- Plaster of Paris cannot be mixed with cement
- Gypsum plaster is not suitable for exterior finish as it is slightly soluble in water
- Plaster of Paris is very expensive as compared to Gypsum
- It is more expensive than cement or cement lime plaster.
- The material used is chlorine which is very dangerous in its natural state
- They are not so solid so if something heavy is hanged with the ceiling, it can damage the ceiling as well as the object
- It can only be fixed by experts, hence very expensive for precise application and thus labour cost for applying plaster of Paris is high
- If they are not maintained well i.e. if regular cleaning is not there, POP false ceiling can be home for many spiders and other insects.