In this article, we shall be discussing about the current cost of laparoscopy in Nigeria this 2021. Laparoscopy is an innovative surgical procedure that helps surgeons to easily identify the exact location of a pelvic or abdominal disease and remove it without the normal, sometimes complicated procedure of outright open surgery. We shall be looking at laparoscopy in detail as we proceed, and give the current prices that this surgical procedure goes for in Nigeria presently. Do kindly continue reading.
LAPAROSCOPY: THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
Laparoscopy or keyhole surgery is a type of surgical procedure which allows a surgeon direct access to the inside of a person’s abdomen and pelvis without necessarily having to make large incisions in the skin. It is also known as minimally invasive surgery, and this is because as aforementioned, large incisions are avoided during the whole process.
During this type of surgical procedure, a surgeon inserts the laparoscope which is a small tube that is made up of a light source and a camera that transmits images from the inside of a patient’s abdomen (tummy) or pelvis unto a screen for easy access and diagnosis. The surgical process of laparoscopy is conducted under general anaesthesia, a medically induced coma that allows the procedure to be done so that the patient doesn’t feel any pain during the whole process of the surgery.
A surgeon makes one or more small incisions in the abdomen during laparoscopy so that he or she can insert the laparoscope, accompanied by small surgical tools, and a tube that is used to pump gas into the abdomen, ensuring that it is very easy for the surgeon to look around the abdomen through a television screen and operate without stress.
Once the surgery is complete, the gas is let out of the patient’s abdomen and the incisions are closed using stitches, after which dressing is applied. The patient can often go home on the same day that the laparoscopy was done, otherwise, they may need to stay in hospital overnight if this is advised by the doctor.
WHY IS LAPAROSCOPY IMPORTANT?
Laparoscopy is currently one of the best and safest methods of abdominal and pelvic surgeries in the world right now. It is so important that many surgeons are relying on it to treat more and more patients by the day for abdominal issues. The importance of laparoscopy include the following:
- It is very useful in the removal of fibroid, ovarian cysts, ectopic pregnancies etc.
- Laparoscopy is important in the assessment and evaluation of certain cancers in the ovary, uterus, and cervix.
- This surgical process is important in diagnosing and curing endometriosis, chronic pelvic pain, pelvic inflammatory disease, and certain causes of infertility.
- Recently, laparoscopy is used in the treatment of appendicitis.
- In certain cases, the procedure is important in treating certain disorders such as urinary incontinence, pelvic organ prolapse, etc.
CURRENT COST OF LAPAROSCOPY IN NIGERIA 2021
Laparoscopy is an innovative surgical process that is safer than some of the other conventional surgical procedures that many medical practitioners are used to. This process is used to treat different diseases of the abdomen and pelvis, and it may be quite expensive depending on the type of disease, the medical facility, whether public or private, and the overall location where one goes to get the procedure done. The age of the patient may also determine the price of the procedure. Kindly bear that in mind.
Also, because this process is relatively new in these parts of the world, it is not a procedure that is readily done at many hospitals except a few ones that are well equipped with the necessary facilities for the surgical process, hence, ensuring the costliness of the procedure.
On the average, the current cost of laparoscopy in Nigeria this 2021 is between the price range of ₦500,000 – ₦1 million or more, and this really depends on the particular abdominal or pelvic disease of the patient as well as the hospital involved and the age of the patient.
ADVANTAGES OF LAPAROSCOPY OVER OPEN SURGERY
Laparoscopy is a very good surgical procedure that has the following advantages over open surgery, and they are:
- The process is much less painful than open surgery
- Laparoscopy ensures faster recovery rate of the patient
- It involves smaller incisions as opposed to the much larger incisions associated with open surgery
- Laparoscopy carries a lesser risk of infection as opposed to open surgery.
RISKS ASSOCIATED WITH LAPAROSCOPY
Laparoscopy is a surgical procedure that has its own risks and it is very important for patients to have these risks explained to them by their surgeons before undergoing the whole surgical process. The following are the risks involved during laparoscopy:
- Bleeding may occur leading to loss of blood by the patient hence a potential need for blood transfusion should the need arise
- Infection may also occur but there’s a lesser risk with laparoscopy than open surgery
- Potential injury to internal body organs may of may occur if the process is not properly carried out
- Many patients react to anaesthesia differently and this may be very discomforting for some when they eventually wake up
- Blood clotting during or after the process is also a risk involved with laparoscopy.
After surgery, during the recovery process of laparoscopy, it is not unusual for patients to feel tired, have a sore throat resulting from the breathing tube under anaesthesia during surgery, have this uneasiness at the site of an incision, abdominal bloating as well as shoulder or back ache, etc. However patients should consult their doctors when these signs become severe.