This article is about the current cost of obtaining a driving licence, also known as a driver’s license in Nigeria this 2022. Driving without a driver’s license is considered illegal and criminal in Nigeria. A driving licence is a legal document issued by the Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC) that grants an individual the rights to drive. In Nigeria, everyone over the age of 18 is entitled to receive a driver’s license.
However, age is not the only criterion that must be met before a driver’s license can be awarded in the country. There are other requirements to meet before a driving licence is issued and it is noteworthy to mention that obtaining this license is not free; it costs money and has a three-year or five-year validity period depending on the type of driver’s license you are going for.
REQUIREMENTS FOR OBTAINING A DRIVING LICENCE IN NIGERIA
The following documents are required before you can be issued a driver’s license in Nigeria this 2022 and unless the required documents are complete, you will not be issued a driving licence. These documents include the following:
- Driving school certificate
- Learner’s permit
- VIO Test certificate
- Birth certificate/Age declaration.
- Eye Test certificate from FRSC approved clinics.
- Evidence of driver’s permit payment (bank teller or print out).
- National Identification Number
HOW TO OBTAIN A NEW DRIVERS LICENSE IN NIGERIA
The following are the various steps to take before you can be issued a driving licence in Nigeria. They are:
- Attend an accredited driving school for training
- After finishing your driving school, the school will then present you to the Vehicle Inspection Officer (VIO) for a driving test
- If you pass the driving test, you will be issued a certificate of proficiency from the VIO
- After that, you can then proceed to complete your driver’s licence application form at the Drivers Licencing Centre (DLC) or apply online via the FRSC driver’s licence website https://www.nigeriadriverslicence.org/
- Then you are to pay the licence fee online or at the bank
- If you applied for your driving licence online, you are to print your acknowledgement slip once payment is verified
- Present your application form/slip to the Board of Internal Revenue (BIR) Officer and VIO at the DLC for endorsement
- Proceed to the FRSC Officer at the DLC for biometrics data capture
- Once that is done, you can then obtain a temporary driver’s license which is valid for 60 days
- After 60 days, you are to collect your original driver’s licence at the BIR Office. You may be notified via text once your original driving licence is ready.
NIGERIAN DRIVING LICENCE APPLICATION FORM
The Nigerian driving licence application form can either be filled online or offline at the Driver’s License Centre (DLC). You are to fill your biodata in this form as well as the number of years that you want the driving licence for. This form is easily obtainable and you will need to fill it carefully so that you do not make any mistakes and enter the wrong information. After filling the form, ensure that you carefully go through it again so that you are sure that you have filled in the right information. The following is a list of things things you are to fill in when you obtain obtain your driving licence form:
- Title: (Mr/Mrs/Miss)
- First Name
- Other Name
- Sex: Male/Female
- Date Of Birth (DD/MM/YY)
- Place Of Birth (City/Town)
- Marital Status
- Address Information (House/Flat/Plot Number), Street
- State Of Origin
- Local Government Of Origin
- Phone Number(s)
- Mother’s Maiden Name
- Blood Group
- Next Of Kin
- Phone Number Of Next Of Kin
- Nationality Of Next Of Kin
- Years Of Application (Either three years or five years).
COST OF DRIVING LICENCE APPLICATION IN NIGERIA 2022
The following are the current fees for new driver’s license application in Nigeria this 2022:
- Certificate of Driving School costs about ₦8,000 or more and this depends on the driving school you attend
- Certificate of VIO test costs about ₦1,000
- Certificate of eye test costs ₦500
On the average the current cost of driver’s license in Nigeria this 2022 according to FRSC Nigeria is ₦12,000 for three years or ₦15,000 for 5 years. Before now, it was ₦6,350 and ₦10,450 for 3 and 5 years respectively.
HOW TO RENEW YOUR DRIVER’S LICENSE IN NIGERIA
Nigerian driver’s licence expires after three or five years, and this depends on the number of years you applied for. If your driving licence has expired, and you want to renew it, the following steps will guide you on how to go about it:
- Log on to FRSC official driving licence website on https://www.nigeriadriverslicence.org/
- Click on ‘DL Application’ and select ‘Renew Driver’s License’ from the drop down menu
- Fill in your driver’s license number and date of birth to bring up existing demographic Information about you
- Make your payment online and print your receipt
- Proceed to the nearest Drivers Licensing Centre and present your receipt and acknowledgement form
- Obtain a temporary driving licence which is valid for 60 days.
- Pick up the original driver’s licence at the BIR Office after 60 days.