This article discusses COREN registration requirements for engineers in Nigeria currently in this year 2022. If you want to be recognized as a bona-fide engineer in Nigeria today, you have to register to be a member of the Council for the Regulation of Engineers in Nigeria (COREN); this body regulates engineering practice and training in Nigeria.
When you are accepted into this Nigerian professional organization for engineers, you automatically become a professional engineer. This gives you leverage and a sense of security whenever you and your company are contracted to advance a project in the course of6your career. Before we look at the criteria for becoming a member of COREN in Nigeria today, let us take a brief look at what this professional engineering body is all about.
COUNCIL FOR THE REGISTRATION OF ENGINEERS IN NIGERIA (COREN): OVERVIEW OF THE ORGANIZATION
The Council for the Regulation of Engineering in Nigeria, COREN, was established by decree 55 of 1970 and amended by Decree 27 of 1992, now the “Engineers (Registration, etc) Act, CAP E11 of 2004” Law of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. The Act establishes COREN as a statutory body of the Federal Government empowered to regulate the Practice of Engineering in all aspects and ramifications in Nigeria.
The Council for the Regulation of Engineering in Nigeria, COREN, is a body set-up by the Decrees 55/70 and 27/92 (now Acts 110). The Decrees empowered the Council to regulate and control the training and practice of engineering in Nigeria and to ensure and enforce the registration of all engineering personnel (i.e. Engineers, Engineering Technologists, Engineering Technicians, and Engineering Craftsmen) and consulting firms wishing to practice or engage in the practice of engineering.
COREN carries out the following four key functions:
- Registration of the five engineering discipline cadres that want to practice in Nigeria namely: engineering craftsmen, engineering technologists/technicians, engineers, and engineering firms.
- Catering to 65 engineering disciplines, many of which are practiced than most other professions.
- Accreditation of engineering programnes in universities, polytechnics, technical colleges, and colleges of technology within the country.
- organizing and managing the practical postgraduate training of recent engineering graduates.
COREN REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS FOR ENGINEERS IN NIGERIA 2022
The following are the requirements for COREN registration for engineers in Nigeria this 2022:
COREN PERSONNEL REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS IN NIGERIA
These are the primary COREN registration requirements you as an engineer must fulfill this 2022. It often takes about 3-6 months for this application to be processed. That said, the requirements are as follows:
- You must be qualified (get at least 4 years of post-graduate studies).
- You must be under the direction of a senior registered engineer.
- Application for COREN membership is only available online.
- Each applicant must be registered with one of the following organizations: NAEC, NATE, NSE, or NISET.
- If you are a Nigerian, you must send your school transcript by post, email, or manually.
- Two proposals must be obtained in advance since they must be submitted with the online application.
- You must fill out the form online and upload all necessary files.
- Additionally, you must pay registration fees, either online or at a bank.
- A working email address and your personal information are required (phone number, address, and so on).
COREN CONSULTING FIRM REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS IN NIGERIA
To join the Council for the Regulation of Engineering in Nigeria (COREN) as a representative of a consulting organization, you must fulfill the following criteria:
- The business must have a Certificate of Registration, and the proprietor must be a licensed engineer.
- The firm must be CAC registered and have an incorporation certificate, and at least two of the partners must be registered engineers who pay all of their practicing fees on time.
- A registered engineer must own at least 55 percent of the company’s shares, and the business must have an incorporation certificate.
- The organization that intends to register must submit a professional report on all engineering design, study, and supervision (with at least 5 years of experience).
- After successfully registering for COREN, you must be willing to show that you have the skills necessary to finish challenging projects that will last for at least three years.
- A letter of recommendation from a reliable COREN member.
- Once every five years, be prepared to renew your company membership.
- Foreign experts can register their consulting firm if they collaborate with a Nigerian engineer who is a registered professional.
LIST OF DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR THE COREN REGISTRATION OF AN ENGINEERING COMPANY
The following is a comprehensive list of all documents required to register an engineering firm with COREN in Nigeria:
- Company’s brochure
- Corporate Affairs application submitted in full (form 2)
- CVs of the owners or partners
- Form for annual returns
- Evidence of having paid processing fees
- Application form from COREN
- Deed of partnership (if applicable)
- CAC Forms (C07, C02, if applicable)
- Certificates of Registration (if applicable)
Kindly visit the official COREN website for the complete list of required documents.
HOW TO APPLY FOR COREN REGISTRATION IN NIGERIA 2022
This section will cover the registration process for COREN in Nigeria this 2022. Please be advised that COREN no longer accepts paper applications for Engineering Personnel Registration; instead, all applications must now be made online. Having stated that, the current methods for engineers in Nigeria to register with COREN online are as follows:
- Before you begin filling out the online application form, download the Proposer and Work Experience Forms as this is one of the papers that must be supplied during the registration process. Please check and confirm that your two (2) proposers have paid their annual practice fees on time.
- Before paying your registration fee online, you are to enter all the necessary fundamental information. When filling out the form, be sure to provide a working phone number and email address because these will be used to contact you during the registration process.
- Select the category that best describes you. Each category’s price is as stated. Complete all the required fields, click the Register button, and a pop-up box will appear asking you to confirm your payment information. When you click the Pay button after verifying your payment information, Remita’s payment gateway will be opened.
- You have the option of making a payment using your credit card online or by printing the Remita Retrieval Reference (RRR) number generated and going to one of the banks listed on the Remita Payment Gateway page. Your payment will be automatically updated and the registration procedure will be triggered upon the successful completion of either of the payment options.
- To continue with your registration, click the Login button. Select the Registered Applicant Login Type option. To log in, enter the email address and password you used when you registered.
- If you successfully log in, the Application tab on the left will load with all the fields you need to fill out.
- Fill out the fields for Basic, Contact, and Other Information by clicking on Profile Info.
- Select the other pertinent tabs, including the ones for education, work experience, membership in engineering organizations, and non-Nigerian Extra Info (For Non-Nigerian only).
- Additionally, select the Document tab to submit pertinent files, such as a technical report in MS Word format no longer than three pages. You must scan and submit original copies of your identification documents. Each upload cannot be larger than 500kb.
- When finished, submit your application by selecting “Application Approval” from the Request page. Then submit your application by clicking the Request Application Approval button.