This article is about the salary of civil engineers in Nigeria currently. If you want to know everything about this field of engineering and you are interested in civil engineering salary structure and range, you should do well to continue reading.
Civil engineers deal with construction of great building structures, roads and bridges as well as tunnels, dams, systems for water supply and sewage treatment. Civil engineering is the oldest field of engineering which covers all that a civil engineer does and is divided into structural engineering and other similar environmental engineering fields. This profession, though not the highest paying engineering field, ranks as a top job that pays really well.
Civil engineers are very well sort after when there is need for constructing magnificent structures. In Nigeria presently, there are limited available opportunities for these top professionals. This is due to the fact that top construction jobs have reduced in recent years. Nevertheless, when they get the contracts to erect great structural edifices and infrastructures, they do their job really well and get paid interesting figures. Make no mistake about it, civil engineering jobs rank among the top jobs in the country anytime any day.
It is very good to practice generally as a civil engineer after your first degree but what will give you better pay is when you specialize in a particular area of this engineering disipline. With many Nigerian graduates being churned out into the labour market year in, year out, you will require more studies and certifications to place you in a higher employable pedestal when you’re being faced with top competition for employable spaces at some of the top construction companies in Nigeria. Civil engineers can work in several places where their expertise is needed, even in top oil and gas companies like Chevron and NNPC. As we go further, we will see in detail what civil engineers are paid in the country presently.
HOW MUCH ARE CIVIL ENGINEERS PAID IN NIGERIA CURRENTLY?
Entry level salaries for civil engineers range between ₦100,000 – ₦350,000 per month. The salary structure for fresh graduate civil engineers at top oil and gas companies is between the pay scale of ₦200,000 – ₦500,000 and this depends on their job functions and the particular company employing the engineer.
Civil engineering salary structure in Nigeria depends on the job level of the engineer, the delicacy of job and the experience of the engineer which can never be overemphasized. Entry level civil engineers are paid less than chief engineers or engineers in-charge of a project. Civil engineers in the oil and gas companies earn more than those involved in road construction and other similar jobs.
BRANCHES UNDER CIVIL ENGINEERING
Civil engineering has some branches under it which one can specialize in. This field of engineering is very interesting and gives job satisfaction and stability. It is one of the oldest aspects of engineering in general and we shall look at some branches of this discipline that one can major in and earn really good salaries from.
- Materials Science and Engineering: The branch of civil engineering that deals with the study of the fundamental properties and characteristics of materials.
- Geotechnical Engineering: The branch of civil engineering that deals with the study of the earth’s materials, such as rocks and soils, and understanding their material properties and behaviour under varying conditions (such as seasonal changes, temperature changes, shrink, swell). Geotechnical engineers conduct tests, prepare reports, provide recommendations for construction, and observe and advise during construction. This group of engineers work hand in hand with geologists and geoscientists.
- Coastal Engineering: The aspect of civil engineering that deals with managing coastal areas, and addressing design issues associated with tides, flooding and erosion.
- Structural Engineering: The branch of civil engineering that deals with designing and constructing structures on which important buildings and infrastructure rests.
- Construction Engineering: The branch of civil engineering that is very similar to structural engineering and involves the construction of buildings, bridges, roads, dams, etc.
- Environmental Engineering: The branch of civil engineering that involves the study of best management practices to employ in order to protect the environment that we live in, and this includes the treatment of chemical, biological and thermal waste. Overall , this aspect of engineering seeks better ways to manage the environment.