If you are looking for the right information about the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control, otherwise known by its acronym, NCDC, then this information is for you. In this article, we have listed the contact details and addresses of all NCDC office and laboratory facilities in Nigeria. We have also provided their telephone numbers, WhatsApp and SMS numbers, their email address, website and social media handles for your convenience.
ABOUT THE NIGERIA CENTRE FOR DISEASE CONTROL (NCDC)
The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control, NCDC is an agency under the Federal Ministry of Health that has been in existence for some time now and they have been the primary Federal Government Health Agency that come to the fore to tackle disease outbreaks. The organization has done remarkably well in the handling of difficult disease cases such as Ebola, Lassa Fever, etc. What made this health agency even more popular in Nigeria is the Coronavirus pandemic that took the world by storm in 2020 and their handling of it.
The agency, through their swift testing of suspected cases and reporting of the confirmed coronavirus cases, otherwise known as COVD-19 via their various social media handles, have been able to alert Nigerians on the severity of the disease and the things to do in order to prevent and greatly reduce its spread. They have been able to pass across important information and vital health guidelines and encouraged Nigerians to follow them religiously so as to ensure that the war against COVID-19 is won.
As aforementioned, The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control is the country’s national public health institute, with the mandate to lead the preparedness, detection and response to infectious disease outbreaks and public health emergencies. The first formal step to establish the NCDC took place in 2011 when some departments in the Ministry of Health, including the Epidemiology Division, the Avian Influenza Project and its laboratories; and the Nigeria Field Epidemiology and Laboratory Training Programme (NFELTP) were moved to form the nucleus of the agency. The Bill for an Act to establish NCDC was signed into law in November 2018, by President Muhammadu Buhari.
The mission for the NCDC (2017-2021) is ‘To protect the health of Nigerians through evidence based prevention, integrated disease surveillance and response activities, using a one health approach, guided by research and led by a skilled workforce’.
The core functions of NCDC include:
- Prevent, detect, and control diseases of public health importance.
- Coordinate surveillance systems to collect, analyse and interpret data on diseases of public health importance.
- Support States in responding to small outbreaks, and lead the response to large disease outbreaks.
- Develop and maintain a network of reference and specialized laboratories.
- Conduct, collate, synthesize and disseminate public health research to inform policy.
- Lead Nigeria’s engagement with the international community on diseases of public health relevance
Currently, there are four laboratories in NCDC’s molecular laboratory network with the capacity to test for COVID-19 in Nigeria. These laboratories are sufficiently equipped with reagents and supplies for testing and they are:
- The NCDC National Reference Laboratory, Abuja
- Lagos University Teaching Hospital, Idi-Araba Surulere
- Irrua Specialist Teaching Hospital, Edo State and
- African Centre for Genomics of Infectious Diseases Ede, Osun State.
They are all in the NCDC molecular laboratory network.
ORGANIZATION OF THE NIGERIA CENTRE FOR DISEASE CONTROL
The NCDC has 213 staff, working across its locations at the Headquarters and the National Reference Laboratory in Abuja, as well as the Central Public Health Laboratory in Lagos State which is a campus of the National Reference Laboratory.
Led by a Director General, the members of staff work in six Directorates, four of which are Technical Directorates. These include:
- Public Health Laboratory Services
- Prevention Programmes and Knowledge Management
- Emergency Preparedness and Response
- Surveillance and Epidemiology
- Finance and Accounts
- Administration and Human Resources
If you want to know more about the NCDC and all diseases that they tackle, kindly visit their website in the contact information provided below.
ADDRESSES OF NCDC FACILITIES IN NIGERIA
NCDC ADMINISTRATIVE HEADQUARTERS CONTACT DETAILS
Address: Plot 801, Ebitu Ukiwe Street,
Telephone Number: 080097000010 (Toll-Free Call Centre)
Whatsapp Number: +2347087110839
SMS Number: +2348099555577
NCDC REFERENCE LABORATORY
Address: National Reference Laboratory,
NCDC CENTRAL PUBLIC HEALTH LABORATORY
Address: 67, Murtala Mohammed Way,